A useful article, with case studies, on the principles for hiring people, which also work for promotions. The more important things to keep in mind?
- Identify the competencies an ideal candidate needs
- Ask interview questions that uncover the drivers behind the candidate’s past and future behavior
- Give the new hire early feedback about her performance
- Prioritize technical skills over relational ones
- Assume you’ve made a bad hire without checking your perception with others
- Immediately move to termination, without first considering coaching or transferring”